Immigration & Refugee Law

Canadian immigration law applies to people who want to visit Canada, study in Canada, work in Canada, and live in Canada. People living with HIV may have questions or concerns about Canadian immigration law. Immigration law is complex and is a very specialized area of law.

HALCO provides a variety of free immigration law services for people living with HIV in Ontario, as well as public legal education materials and public legal education workshops . For more information about other resources and Getting legal help, please scroll down.


Canadian Citizenship

If you are living with HIV in Ontario and you think you are eligible for citizenship, please contact us for advice about applying for citizenship.

For more information about citizenship, you can visit the Government of Canada’s Citizenship website:

Immigration Law Resources

Our HALCO news newsletters often include articles about immigration and refugee law (scroll down on Our Publications page to access all of our newsletters):

The Canadian HIV/AIDS Legal Network produces a variety of publications about HIV and Canada’s immgration laws that are available on the Legal Network’s

Community Legal Education Ontario (CLEO) produces public legal education pamphlets and fact sheets about Canada’s immigration and refugee law available on-line on the CLEO website:

The Legal Aid Ontario (LAO) website also has information about Canadian immigration law:

Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) is the Government of Canada department that is responsible for citizenship, immigration and refugee law in Canada.  The CIC website includes citizenship, immigration and refugee information:

Getting legal help

If you are living with HIV in Ontario and have questions about Canadian immigration law, please contact us for free legal advice.

If you are living in Ontario, you can also contact your local community legal clinic.  If your local legal clinic does not assist with immigration law matters, the clinic may give you information and provide referrals to other services.

The Law Society of Upper Canada operates the Law Society Referral Service (LSRS).  The LSRS provides callers with a referral for up to 30 minutes of consultation with a lawyer or paralegal either by phone or in person at no charge.  The LSRS can be reached by calling either 416-947-3330 or toll free 1-800-268-8326 outside the Greater Toronto area (TTY Phone: 416-644-4886). For more information please see the Law Society Referral Service information on the Law Society of Upper Canada website: