Home Care

Home Care

If you are ill and you need help to be able to stay in your home or to return to your home, your local Ontario Local Health Integration Network (LHIN) may help you to arrange “Home Care” services.  Home care services can include:

  • personal support (meal preparation, bathing, dressing, etc.)
  • medical supplies and equipment
  • nursing
  • physiotherapy, and
  • palliative and/or end-of-life care.

Many home care services are paid for by the government.  You may also pay for additional home care yourself.  Your local Ontario Local Health Integration Network (LHIN) is responsible for linking you to government-funded home care services.  You can find your local LHIN by calling 310-2222 toll-free from anywhere in Ontario or on the internet at:  http://healthcareathome.ca/.

Home care services were handled by Community Care Access Centres (CCACs) but the services were transferred to the LHINs.

Community Legal Education Ontario (CLEO) has information about home care on its website and in print:

The Advocacy Centre for the Elderly (ACE) website includes information about home care in Ontario:  www.acelaw.ca/home_care_-_introduction.php.

The law can be very complicated, so if you have a question or problem, we recommend that you get legal advice about your situation: