For HALCO Office Accessibility, Transit and Parking information, please scroll down or access our HALCO Accessibility, Transit and Parking Information document in pdf document format and word document format.
Navigating without a mouse
Some web users are unable to use a mouse for navigation. This page describes how users can navigate this website using just the keyboard or by using special shortcuts known as access keys.
Access keys are shortcuts for keyboard users to facilitate navigation in the website. Windows browsers use the ‘Alt’ + ‘access key’ in Internet Explorer or Webkit (Chrome, Safari); use ‘Alt’ + ‘SHIFT’ + ‘access key’. Macintosh browsers use ‘Control’ + ‘access key’. Once selected, press ‘Enter’ to activate the link. The access keys used in this website are:
- 1: Skip to content
- 2: Skip to Main Menu
- 3: Areas of Law
- 4: Site map
- 0: Accessibility Policy (this page)
This website complies with the following web standards:
- ‘AA’ compliance under the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0
HALCO Office Accessibility, Transit and Parking information
NOTE: the elevator from the 55 University Avenue parking garage to the building lobby is temporarily out of service for maintenance beginning January 18, 2020. Please contact us if you need more information.
For information about accessibility, transit and parking at our HALCO office, please see below or our HALCO Accessibility, Transit and Parking Information document in pdf document format and word document format.
HALCO is in an office building at 55 University Avenue, Suite 1400 (14th Floor), Toronto, Ontario, M5J 2H7. The building is on the east side of University Avenue, just south of King Street West and the fully accessible St. Andrew subway station.
Signs in the building say “HALCO” only (not HIV or AIDS).
Main entrance to the building: accessible door with door opener button is to the right of the revolving entry doors.
Google Maps link
HALCO office (Suite 1400 on the 14th floor)
- HALCO office is Suite 1400 on the 14th floor.
- Signs indicate “HALCO” (not HIV or AIDS).
- There is a door opener button from the 14th floor elevator lobby area to the hallway to our office.
- Building elevators are accessible with tactile lowered buttons.
- Elevators do not announce floors.
All-Gender / Accessible single stall washroom is opposite our office on the 14th floor. All-Gender / Accessible single stall washroom with infant and adult change tables is on the 15th floor.
HALCO is a scent-reduced environment. Please avoid wearing any fragrances or scented products when coming to our HALCO office.
Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) www.ttc.ca
Subway: The fully accessible St. Andrew subway station is the closest station to our office. There are several ways to get to HALCO from St Andrew station using elevators, escalators and stairs. Here are directions if you use the elevators:
- When you get off the subway train, take the elevator from the subway platform to Level 3 (where the ticket-taker booths and turn-stiles are).
- Turn right when you get off the elevator and exit through the exit gate/turn-stile.
- Go left toward the Sun Life Financial Tower sign.
- Go down the hallway on the right that is under the sign “To University Avenue, East Side and King Street West, South Side”.
- Go through the double glass doors at the end of the hallway. There is a door opener to the right of the glass doors.
- Take the hallway to the right to get to the elevator.
- Take the elevator to Level 1, which is street level.
- At street level, go through two sets of doors on the left to go outside to the sidewalk.
- Turn left and then turn left again to go south on the sidewalk on University Avenue.
- Continue south on University Avenue (do not cross the street).
- 55 University Avenue building is on your left.
- There is an accessible door with a door opener button to the right of the revolving doors at the main entrance to the building.
Streetcar: The TTC 504 King westbound streetcar stops on the northwest corner of King Street West and University Avenue:
- There is a traffic light at the intersection. Cross King Street West and cross University Avenue at the traffic light, and continue south on the sidewalk on the east side of University Avenue.
- 55 University Avenue will be on your left.
Streetcar: The TTC 504 King eastbound streetcar stops on the southeast corner of King Street West and University Avenue:
- Go west on King Street West to the corner (traffic light).
- Turn left to go south on University Avenue (do not cross the street).
- 55 University Avenue will be on your left.
GO Transit and VIA Rail
GO Transit and VIA Rail trains stop at Union Station, which is accessible. HALCO is a few blocks from Union Station. From Union Station you can either walk or take the subway to St. Andrew subway station (see TTC above for subway directions).
- On the street in front of 55 University Avenue.
- Behind the north end of the 55 University Avenue building.
- In the underground parking garage on P1 level.
Underground Parking Garage (fees)
The underground parking garage at 55 University Avenue is operated by Impark (fees). The entrance to the parking garage is on the north side of Wellington Street West, east of University Avenue. There are two designated accessible parking spaces on the first level, Level P1, at the bottom of the entrance ramp. After parking, take the parking garage elevator to the ground floor (press elevator button G for ground floor). When you leave the parking elevator, turn right and then right again to arrive at the main lobby of 55 University Avenue. Take any one of the five elevators to the 14th floor. There is limited parking in the underground parking garage, so those who arrive after 9 a.m. may be asked to double park and leave their keys with the attendant.
Street-level and Other Parking
- On-street parking in the area is very limited.
- Roy Thompson Hall has limited accessible ground-level outdoor and underground parking spaces: entrances are on the north side of Wellington Street West, west of Simcoe Street (elevator from underground parking).
- 145 Wellington Street West has limited accessible ground-level outdoor parking spaces and underground parking: entrance is on the south side of Wellington Street West, west of University Avenue (elevator from underground parking).
- Green P underground parking garage, 40 York Street: entrance is on the east side of York Street, south of Wellington Street West (no accessible parking spots, no elevator).
For more information:
Please do not hesitate to contact us for more information or to request any assistance.