HALCO staff organize, conduct and participate in public legal education events across Ontario and provide workshops on topics of interest to people with HIV as well as HIV/AIDS legal issues for the broader community.
Our public legal education activities include workshops and presentations at conferences, at AIDS service organizations across Ontario and in many other settings.
Please contact us to request a presentation, our participation in an event, or to order copies of our materials.
HALCO Email Distribution List
To receive updates from HALCO including our newsletter and workshop announcements, please visit our Newsletter Sign-Up page: www.halco.org/newsletter-sign-up to sign up for our free email distribution list.
Free workshop: Ontario Social Assistance/ODSP Update on April 11, 2019
This free workshop will provide an overview of what we know about the changes that the Ontario Government announced for the Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP), what the changes might mean and what next. The workshop will take place in person at HALCO on Thursday April 11, 2019, from 1:30 to 4 p.m. Everyone is welcome but space is limited so registration is required. For more information and to Register, please see: https://www.halco.org/2019/news/odspworkshop2019apr11.
HALCO Public Legal Education Presentations
Our presentation topics include:
- HIV and the Law Overview
- HIV Disclosure and the Law: Criminal and Public Health Issues
- HIV and Immigration Law
- HIV and Human Rights Law
- HIV and Privacy Law
- HIV and Employment Law
- HIV and Private Insurance
- Government Sources of Income for Individuals and Families
- Ontario Disability Support Program Overview
- Planning Ahead: Powers of Attorney and Advance Care Planning
- Planning for illness: legal information for people with HIV in Ontario
- Disability Tax Credit and Registered Disability Savings Plans (benefits for people with disabilities including people receiving Ontario Disability Support Program benefits-ODSP)
- Ontario’s Drug Benefit Programs
- Medical Cannabis (marijuana)
- Medical Assistance in Dying Law in Canada
We may provide presentations on other topics or we may be able to suggest other speakers. For more information or to request a workshop, please contact us.