Housing / Tenant Law

Your home may be a rental housing unit, a government subsidized unit, a housing co-operative, or you may own your home.  The rules and laws are different and depend on the type of housing that you live in, as well as if anyone lives with you and their relationship to you.  Human Rights laws may also apply.  This section explains some of the different types of housing, and includes Home Care, Care/Retirement Homes and Long-Term Care Homes.

Getting legal help

The law can be very complicated, so if you have a question or problem, we recommend that you get legal advice about your situation:

Help to find housing

Housing help services may help you to find a place to live. You can find out if there is a housing help service in your area on the Housing Help Association of Ontario website: https://findhousinghelp.ca/.

  • Rental Housing

    Most “rental housing” in Ontario is covered by a law called the Residential Tenancies Act [http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/english/elaws_statutes_06r17_e.htm] (RTA). Continue reading

  • Subsidized/Rent-Geared-to-Income (RGI) Housing

    Subsidized housing, also called Rent-Geared-to-Income (RGI) housing, is housing where the government pays part of your rent as a rent subsidy. The Residential Tenancies Act (RTA) is the law that applies to most rental housing in Ontario, including most subsidized/RGI housing. Continue reading

  • Housing Co-operatives (Co-ops)

    This section is for people who live in a not-for-profit housing co-operative (“co-op”). Co-ops are run by members of the co-op and have an elected Board of Directors made up of co-op members. Continue reading

  • Home Ownership

    Home ownership can be complicated. You may have a mortgage, you may co-own your home with someone or you may share your home with others or rent part of your home to others who may have rights to your home. Continue reading

  • Home Care

    If you are ill and you need help to be able to stay in your home or to return to your home, your local Community Care Access Centre (CCAC) may help you to arrange “Home Care” services. Continue reading

  • Supportive Housing, Care Homes (Retirement Homes), Long-Term Care Homes and Hospices

    If you become ill and you think that you will not be able to continue to live in your home or to return to your home after treatment, you will need to think about moving somewhere to get the care you need. There are different options, Continue reading