In November 2020, the Ontario government announced financial support for people up to and including age 12 and people up to and including age 21 with special needs. Funding is now also available for people up to and including those in Grade 12 whether they are currently in school or not, including people in secondary school aged 18 or over.
Parents and guardians, as well as secondary students aged 18 or over, can apply for a one-time payment of:
- $200 for each person up to and including those in Grade 12
- $250 for each person up to and including age 21 with special needs
A person with special needs is:
- any person reported to be receiving special education programs or services by their school board
- any person enrolled in licensed child care reported to be receiving special needs funding or support
- any person identified as having a special need
Note that the government has indicated that people who are identified as gifted but who do not have any other special needs are not considered to have special needs under this program.
The new deadline to apply for funding is February 8, 2021.
More information about the funding can be found here.
People can apply for the funding here.
See here for a pdf of this posting.