On June 5, 2020, the federal government announced that some people with disabilities will receive a one-time tax-free payment of up to $600.
According to the federal government’s webpage, the payment will be automatically provided for people:
- With an existing valid Disability Tax Credit (DTC) certificate
- Who are eligible and applied for the DTC by December 31, 2020
- Who are a beneficiary as of July 1, 2020 of:
- Canada Pension Plan Disability
- Quebec Pension Plan Disability Pension
- One of the disability supports provided by Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC)
- Disability Pension
- Disability Award
- Pain and Suffering Compensation
- Critical Injury Benefit
- Rehabilitation Services and Vocational Assistance Program
- Income Replacement Benefit
- Canadian Forces Income Support
For more information, see here.
Note that it can take up to 8 weeks for the Canada Revenue Agency to inform people of their decision regarding eligibility for the DTC.