HALCO staff organize, conduct and participate in public legal education events for people with HIV as well as events on HIV legal issues for the community in general.
Our public legal education activities include workshops and presentations at conferences, at AIDS service organizations across Ontario and in many other settings.
Twice a year, we host a series of free general interest public legal education workshops in person at our HALCO office in Toronto, Ontario. When the workshop series details are finalized, we circulate information to our members, our newsletter list, and we post information on our website What’s New sidebar.
Please contact us to request a presentation, our participation in an event, or to order copies of our materials.
Free Public Legal Education Workshops at HALCO in April and May 2017
Our free workshops are held in person at the HALCO office/Specialty Legal Clinic Co-op, 55 University Avenue, 15th Floor Room C2, Toronto (just south of King Street West and the fully accessible St. Andrew subway station):
- Rent Increases: Protecting your Rights workshop, Thursday April 20, 2017, 1:30 p.m. to 4 p.m. Presenter: Matthew Malott (HALCO Articling Student)
- Canadian Immigration: Sponsoring Your Family workshop, Tuesday April 25, 2017, 1:30 p.m. to 4 p.m. Presenter: Clare McMullen-Crummey, (HALCO Staff Lawyer)
- HIV Disclosure and the Law: Criminal and Public Health Issues workshop, Thursday May 11, 2017, 1:30 p.m. to 4 p.m. Presenter: Ryan Peck, (HALCO Executive Director and Lawyer)
- Privacy, HIV, Human Rights and the Law workshop, Wednesday May 17, 2017, 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. Presenter: Khalid Janmohamed (HALCO Staff Lawyer)
- I owe money but cannot pay: dealing with debts workshop, Wednesday May 24, 2017, 1:30 p.m. to 4 p.m. Presenter: Glenn Betteridge (HALCO Staff Lawyer)
Everyone is welcome to attend these general interest workshops but space is limited so Registration is required.
How to Register:
Please include your name, your contact information, your organization (if any), and the titles of the workshop(s) that you would like to attend:
- Email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone 416-340-7790 or toll-free 1-888-705-8889 (or FAX to 416-340-7248)
Please avoid wearing scents or fragrances when coming to our offices. Our offices are accessible. If you require other disability accommodation, please contact us. We regret that our budget does not permit us to provide refreshments or transportation assistance.
For more information or to request other workshops, please contact us.
You can find all the information in this printable flyer (pdf): www.halco.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/HALCO_Free_Workshop_Series_2017April-May.pdf.
HALCO Public Legal Education Presentations
Our presentation topics include:
- HIV and the Law Overview
- HIV Disclosure and the Law: Criminal and Public Health Issues
- HIV and Immigration Law
- HIV and Human Rights Law
- HIV and Privacy Law
- HIV and Employment Law
- HIV and Private Insurance
- Government Sources of Income for Individuals and Families
- Ontario Disability Support Program Overview
- Planning Ahead: Powers of Attorney and Advance Care Planning
- Planning for illness: legal information for people with HIV in Ontario
- Disability Tax Credits and Registered Disability Savings Plans
- Ontario’s Drug Benefit Programs
- Medical Cannabis (marijuana)
- Medical Assistance in Dying Law in Canada
We may provide presentations on other topics or we may be able to suggest other speakers. For more information or to request a workshop, please contact us.