HALCO staff organize, conduct and participate in public legal education events for people with HIV as well as events on HIV legal issues for the community in general.
Our public legal education activities include workshops and presentations at conferences, at AIDS service organizations across Ontario and in many other settings.
Twice a year, we host a series of free general interest public legal education workshops in person at our HALCO office in Toronto, Ontario. When the workshop series details are finalized, we circulate information to our members, our newsletter list, and we post information on our website What’s New sidebar.
Please contact us to request a presentation, our participation in an event, or to order copies of our materials.
HALCO Public Legal Education Presentations
Our presentation topics include:
- HIV and the Law Overview
- HIV Disclosure and the Law: Criminal and Public Health Issues
- HIV and Privacy Law
- HIV and Immigration Law
- HIV and Employment Law
- HIV and Private Insurance
- Government Sources of Income for Individuals and Families
- Ontario Disability Support Program Overview
- Planning Ahead: Powers of Attorney and Advance Care Planning
- Planning for illness: legal information for people with HIV in Ontario
- Disability Tax Credits and Registered Disability Savings Plans
- Ontario’s Drug Benefit Programs
- Medical Cannabis (marijuana)
We may provide presentations on other topics or we may be able to suggest other speakers. For more information or to request a workshop, please contact us.