HALCO staff organize, conduct and participate in public legal education events across Ontario and provide workshops on topics of interest to people with HIV as well as HIV/AIDS legal issues for the broader community.
Our public legal education activities include workshops and presentations at conferences, at AIDS service organizations across Ontario and in many other settings.
Twice a year, we host a series of free general interest public legal education workshops in person at our HALCO office in Toronto, Ontario. When the workshop series details are finalized, we circulate information to our members, our newsletter list, and we post information on our website What’s New sidebar.
Free Public Legal Education Workshops at HALCO in May and June 2018
Our free public legal education workshops are held in person at the Specialty Legal Clinic Co-op, 55 University Avenue, 15th Floor Room C2, Toronto (just south of King Street West and the fully accessible St. Andrew subway station):
- Disability Tax Credits and Registered Disability Savings Plans (RDSPs) workshop: Tuesday May 1, 2018, from 1:30 p.m. to 4 p.m. Presenter: Jill McNall, HALCO Community Legal Worker (licensed paralegal).
- Employment Standards Changes and Disability Accommodation in the Workplace workshop: Wednesday May 9, 2018, from 1:30 p.m. to 4 p.m. Presenter: Robin Nobleman, HALCO Staff Lawyer.
- Refugees and Permanent Residents: How Can You Lose Your Status in Canada? How Can You Apply for Canadian Citizenship? workshop: Thursday May 24, 2018, from 1:30 p.m. to 4 p.m. Presenter: Meagan Johnston, HALCO Staff Lawyer.
- HIV Disclosure and the Law: Criminal and Public Health Issues workshop: Wednesday May 30, 2018, from 1:30 p.m. to 4 p.m. Presenter: Ryan Peck, HALCO Executive Director and Lawyer.
- Ontario’s Drug Benefit Programs workshop: Tuesday June 5, 2018, from 1:30 p.m. to 4 p.m. Presenter: Jill McNall, HALCO Community Legal Worker (licensed paralegal).
Everyone is welcome to attend these general interest workshops but space is limited so Registration is required.
How to Register:
Please include your name, your contact information, your organization (if any), and the titles of the workshop(s) that you would like to attend:
– Email to email@example.com
– Phone 416-340-7790 or toll-free 1-888-705-8889 (or FAX to 416-340-7248)
Please avoid wearing scents or fragrances when coming to our offices. Our offices are accessible. Please contact us if you require other disability accommodation. We regret that our budget does not permit us to provide refreshments or transportation assistance.
For more information or to request a workshop for your community, please contact us.
This information is also available as a poster in pdf: www.halco.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/HALCO_Free_Workshop_Series_2018-May-June.pdf
HALCO Email Distribution List
To receive updates from HALCO including our newsletter and workshop announcements, please visit our Newsletter Sign-Up page: www.halco.org/newsletter-sign-up to sign up for our free email distribution list.
Please contact us to request a presentation, our participation in an event, or to order copies of our materials.
HALCO Public Legal Education Presentations
Our presentation topics include:
- HIV and the Law Overview
- HIV Disclosure and the Law: Criminal and Public Health Issues
- HIV and Immigration Law
- HIV and Human Rights Law
- HIV and Privacy Law
- HIV and Employment Law
- HIV and Private Insurance
- Government Sources of Income for Individuals and Families
- Ontario Disability Support Program Overview
- Planning Ahead: Powers of Attorney and Advance Care Planning
- Planning for illness: legal information for people with HIV in Ontario
- Disability Tax Credits and Registered Disability Savings Plans
- Ontario’s Drug Benefit Programs
- Medical Cannabis (marijuana)
- Medical Assistance in Dying Law in Canada
We may provide presentations on other topics or we may be able to suggest other speakers. For more information or to request a workshop, please contact us.