This section of our website is under development.
The Canadian HIV/AIDS Legal Network has eight brochures about the privacy rights and disclosure obligations of people living with HIV. The brochures are available on-line in English, French, Arabic, Chinese, Punjabi, Spanish and Tagalog: www.aidslaw.ca/site/kyr/:
- Disclosure at work (Know Your Rights 1).
- Accommodation in the workplace (Know Your Rights 2).
- Remedies for discrimination and privacy violations in the workplace (Know Your Rights 3).
- Disclosure and post-secondary education (Know Your Rights 4).
- Disclosure as a patient (Know Your Rights 5).
- Privacy and Health Records (Know Your Rights 6).
- Disclosure in School and Daycare (Know Your Rights 7).
- Disclosure, Privacy and Parenting (Know Your Rights 8).
The eight Know Your Rights brochures are also available in French Connaître ses droits: www.aidslaw.ca/site/kyr/?lang=fr.
Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario
The Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario (IPC) website contains information about privacy rights in Ontario: www.ipc.on.ca/english/Home-Page/.
Privacy Commissioner of Canada
The website of the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada contains information about privacy rights in Canada: www.priv.gc.ca/index_e.ASP.
Getting Legal Help
If you are living with HIV and have questions about privacy law, please contact us for advice.
If you are living in Ontario but you are not living with HIV, you can contact the Law Society Referral Service (LSRS) of the Law Society of Upper Canada. The LSRS is an on-line service that provides a referral to a lawyer or paralegal for an in-person or phone consultation of up to 30 minutes at no charge: www.lsuc.on.ca/lsrs. The LSRS crisis telephone for people in custody, in crisis, in a shelter or in a remote community without internet access is 416-947-5255 or toll-free 1-855-947-5255, Monday to Friday 9 am to 5 pm. For more information please see the Law Society Referral Service information on the Law Society of Upper Canada website: www.lsuc.on.ca/lsrs/.