Navigating without a mouse
Some web users are unable to use a mouse for navigation. This page describes how users can navigate this website using just the keyboard or by using special shortcuts known as access keys.
Access keys are shortcuts for keyboard users to facilitate navigation in the website. Windows browsers use the ‘Alt’ + ‘access key’ in Internet Explorer or Webkit (Chrome, Safari); use ‘Alt’ + ‘SHIFT’ + ‘access key’. Macintosh browsers use ‘Control’ + ‘access key’. Once selected, press ‘Enter’ to activate the link. The access keys used in this website are:
- 1: Skip to content
- 2: Skip to Main Menu
- 3: Areas of Law
- 4: Site map
- 0: Accessibility Policy (this page)
This website complies with the following web standards:
- ‘AA’ compliance under the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0
HALCO Office Accessibility, Transit and Parking information
For information about accessibility, transit and parking at our HALCO office, please see below or our HALCO Accessibility, Transit and Parking Information (word document).
HALCO is in an office building at 55 University Avenue, Suite 1400 (14th Floor), Toronto, Ontario, M5J 2H7. It is on the east side of University Avenue, just south of King Street West and the fully accessible St. Andrew subway station.
Signs in the building indicate “HALCO” (not HIV or AIDS).
There is an automated door opener at the main entrance to the building. The building elevators are accessible but do not announce floors.
Google Maps website link
HALCO office (Suite 1400 on the 14th floor)
- HALCO office is Suite 1400 on the 14th floor.
- signs indicate “HALCO” (not HIV or AIDS).
- Automatic door opener buttons from elevator area have not been installed but should be soon (please contact us for current information).
- Building elevators are accessible with tactile lowered buttons.
- Elevators do not announce floors.
All-Gender / Accessible washroom is opposite our office door on the 14th floor.
Men’s and Women’s washrooms are on same floor as HALCO office (14th floor) but are not accessible.
HALCO is a scent-reduced environment. Please avoid wearing scents/fragrances when coming to HALCO office.
Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) www.ttc.ca
Subway: The fully accessible St. Andrew subway station is the closest to our office. There are several ways to get to HALCO from St Andrew station using elevators, escalators and stairs. Here are directions if you use the elevators:
- When you get off the subway train, take the elevator from the subway platform to Level 3, which is where the ticket-taker booths are.
- Turn right when you get off the elevator and exit through the exit gate/turn-stile.
- Go left toward the Sun Life Financial Tower sign.
- Go down the hallway on the right that is under the sign “To University Avenue, East Side and King Street West, South Side”.
- Go through the double glass doors at the end of the hallway. There is a door opener to the right of the glass doors.
- Take the hallway to the right to get to the elevator.
- Take the elevator to Level 1, which is street level.
- At street level, go through two sets of doors on the left to go outside to the sidewalk.
- Turn left and then turn left again to go south on the sidewalk on University Avenue.
- There is construction work on the sidewalk and a part of the sidewalk is blocked by a metal construction fence.
- Continue past the construction fence.
- 55 University Avenue building is on your left.
- There is a door opener to the right of the entry doors.
Streetcar: The 504 King streetcar stops on the northeast corner of King Street West and University Avenue:
- There is a traffic light at the intersection. Cross King Street West at the traffic light and continue south on the sidewalk on the east side of University Avenue.
- There is construction work on the sidewalk and a part of the sidewalk is closed off by a metal fence.
- Continue on the sidewalk past the construction fence on your right.
- 55 University Avenue will be on your left.
- There is a door opener to the right of the entry doors.
GO Transit and VIA Rail
GO Transit and VIA Rail trains stop at Union Station, which is accessible. HALCO is a few blocks from Union Station. From Union Station you can either walk or take the subway to St. Andrew subway station (see TTC above for subway).
- On the street in front of 55 University Avenue and behind the north end of the building.
- In the underground parking garage on P1 level.
Underground Parking Garage
The underground parking garage at 55 University Avenue is operated by Cominar. The entrance to the parking garage is on the north side of Wellington Street West, east of University Avenue. There are two designated accessible parking spaces on Level P1. Take the parking garage elevator to the ground floor (press elevator button G for ground floor). When you leave the parking elevator, turn right and then right again to arrive at the main lobby of 55 University Avenue. Take any one of the five elevators to the 14th floor. There is limited parking in the underground parking garage, so those who arrive after 9 a.m. are often asked to double park and leave their keys with the attendant.
Street-level and Other Parking
- Very limited on-street parking spaces.
- Green P underground parking garage at 40 York Street: entrance is on the east side of York Street, south of Wellington Street West.
- Roy Thompson Hall/Metro Centre underground parking garage: entrance is on the north side of Wellington Street West, west of Simcoe Street.
- 145 Wellington Street West ground level outdoor parking lot: entrance is on the south side of Wellington Street West, east of University Avenue.
For more information:
Please do not hesitate to contact us for more information or to request any assistance.