The mission of the HIV & AIDS Legal Clinic Ontario is to provide legal services to persons living with HIV/AIDS in Ontario that are relevant to their well-being and that enable them to participate fully in the communities in which they live.
HALCO’s vision is a society where laws and the legal system help reduce discrimination, stigma, poverty and injustice faced by people living with HIV/AIDS.
Statement of Principles of the HIV & AIDS Legal Clinic Ontario
(Adopted January 30, 2006, by the Board of Directors of the HIV & AIDS Legal Clinic Ontario.)
It is agreed that:
- People living with HIV/AIDS are confronted with unique legal problems of enormous proportions and complexity;
- Those best equipped to make choices regarding HIV/AIDS issues and problems are those individuals who are HIV positive themselves;
- People living with HIV/AIDS must have control over their own lives;
- The HIV/AIDS affected communities are very diverse and are confronted by overwhelming challenges derived from both their diversity and from their common experience as people living with HIV/AIDS;
- It is necessary to create and foster a climate of understanding and mutual respect for the dignity and worth of people living with HIV/AIDS; and
- The confidentiality, bodily security, autonomy and privacy of people living with HIV/AIDS must be respected, which include but are not limited to:
a) the right of individuals to exercise control over their own medical treatment;
b) the right of individuals to exercise control over decisions concerning their own socio-economic position;
c) the right of all persons living with HIV/AIDS to be fully informed of all processes and procedures in which their interests are in any way involved; and
d) the right of all persons living with HIV/AIDS to consent, or withhold their consent, in all matters affecting them.
HALCO’s Strategic Plan
HALCO Annual Reports
Our Annual Reports include information about our people, our legal work, our law reform, our financial reports, our funding and more! You can access each report in pdf format by clicking on the title. If you would like a print copy of our Annual Report, please contact us.
Adobe Reader® for PDF/pdf
Adobe Reader® software is free software you can download for viewing and printing PDF/pdf documents. You can download Adobe Reader® from the Adobe® website: http://get.adobe.com/reader/.